This is a tasty Fall recipe of Apple Crisp. The nice thing about this recipe is that it is also gluten free. I have altered it using two different favorite recipes. One by Maria Lichty and the Holland Michigan Welfare League cookbook. I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Oats and Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Flour. I found both products at our local grocery market, they were easy to find and worked like a dream in my crisp. The crisp is sweet, tart, and has a nice crunchy topping. My guests gave the gluten-free crisp two thumbs up! This crisp is easy to make and a great dessert for this Fall and Thanksgiving.
- 8 large Granny Smith apples – peeled cored, and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten-Free Oats
- 1 Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour (I use Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon all nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter cut into pieces (room temperature)
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans (optional)
*Note-if you don’t need the dessert to be gluten-free you can use regular oats and flour. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
I will make this crisp again. Send me a picture if you make it for your friends and family.
Take care, Cyndi