This simple, delicious, and authentic Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice) makes a filling vegetarian meal or side dish. Fresh dill, chives, and lemon juice give it an extraordinary flavor and aroma.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 tbsp. chives or scallions chopped and divided
- 4 tbsp. dill chopped and divided
- 1/2 lb. baby spinach
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth can substitute with water
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp. lemon zest
- feta cheese to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onions for about 5-7 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic, 2 tablespoons of dill, and 2 tablespoons of chives. Sauté for another minute or two.
- Add the spinach, and cook for 3-4 minutes, just until it wilts down.
- Add the salt, pepper, basmati rice, and vegetable broth and stir. Bring it to a boil, cover with a lid, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the butter, lemon juice and zest, and the remaining dill and chives.
- Garnish with feta cheese and lemon wedges. Serve.