Testing Milled steel


I got to see my tripod last week and the sign base for the project. Brian helped with several tests in “aging” the steel. We tried battery acid poured directly onto the steel. We left part of the steel alone. I should say, he, took the protective finish off part of it, and then torched it. We also took the finish off, poured muriatic acid on this area, and then torched it. One final test was using WD-40 on each of those tests.

I have a plan and Brian is game to help with it. I am not going to tell you which test we liked the best. 🙂 One thing that Brian and I did decide was that the battery acid is too caustic and we will be using salt water, instead. The WD-40 made a neat pattern on the bottom of the base. You can see it here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *